If you’ve been reading this blog awhile, you know that I LOVE kitchen experiments. While I often joke about my baking mishaps, quite a few of them are better than edible, too! The problem is, I create things in the kitchen…then don’t write down what I did. Today, I thought I was on to something with this particular recipe, so I started making a list. Here’s what I came up with:
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 small apple, shredded
These muffins were really pretty stinking good. I love carrot cake so much that I have thought, on more than one occasion, of asking my husband to take me to the local hospital cafeteria to get a piece. The hospital has FANTASTICAL carrot cake. It’s the first thing I order after having a baby each time. I mean, after enduring hours of labor and delivery, who doesn’t crave cake? I’m so digressing today. Let’s go…
Here’s what you need (I’m pretty sure):
- 1 cup carrots, shredded (I did this in the Ninja)
- 1 small apple, shredded (I left the peel on, also shredded in the Ninja)
- 1 cup steel cut oats (I also tossed them around in the Ninja, but it didn’t do much)
- 1 cup spelt flour (or you can use white all-purpose – if you dare)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce (you know if you sub applesauce for eggs, you can lick the beaters guilt-free!)
- 1 super ripe banana
- 1/2 cup sucanat (or whatever equivalent sweetener you like)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or cow’s milk if you prefer)
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/4-1/2 cup raisins
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 TB of cinnamon (or more, to taste)
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Shred the carrots and apple
- Incorporate everything except walnuts and raisins in a large mixing bowl, mix well.
- Fold in walnuts and raisins.
- Spoon into cupcake liners (mine made 11 regular cupcakes and about 6 minis…I know. I ran out of big cupcake liners. Sue me).
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Serve with cream cheese and enjoy!! 🙂